From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Unpacking a .exe file
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 11:46:52
1 On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:17:28 +0100, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
2 wrote:
3 > 2009/9/10 Adam Carter <Adam.Carter@×××××××××.au>:
4 >> Did you try running the .exe with wine?
5 >
6 > Thanks Adam, I don't have WINE on this old machine, or the space for
7 > it. Even if I did - how do I find the files (don't know what their
8 > names are). Is it a matter of running the .exe so that it installs
9 > and assuming that it does not fail then diff-ing the fs before and
10 > after, or ls -l -a -t to find the latest files which were modified?
11
12 Well, the installer itself needs to be decompressed to run. Most windows
13 installers install the intermediate files in c:\windows\temp (which
14 usually would be ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/temp. Some others create a
15 temporal dir under c:\ (~/.wine/drive_c). It's a matter of firing
16 up the installer and go looking around there with each step until
17 you can find them.
20 By the way, I've tried decompressing the file with 7z and it indeed
21 extracts 6 files, however I have no idea what they contain. It must
22 be the pieces that installshield chain together. I have no idea if
23 it's possible to extract something from there or not. There's a big
24 file called textually '[DATA]', which is the biggest one, so the
25 stuff must be there. I guess that's the one containing the compressed
26 files, the rest of the files must be the exe header and the install
27 shield control into. However I haven't manager to decompress that
28 '[DATA]' file using anything.
31 Jesús Guerrero