From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Grub and multiple distros on LVM [was duplicate gentoo system ...]
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 08:53:12
1 On 24/11/20 23:39, Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 24 Nov 2020 23:25:38 -0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> In grub, does chainloading an LVM virtual partition work the same as
5 >>>> chainloading a "real" partition?
6 >>>
7 >>> I suspect not as GRUB will be reading the menu files and GRUB doesn't
8 >>> read from LVM volumes.
9 >>
10 >> Then what does grub's "lvm" module do, and how does it read the
11 >> distro's .cfg files from the LVM volumes in which the various distros
12 >> are installed?
13 >
14 > Maybe what you want. I haven't used LVM or GRUB much n the past several
15 > years, so maybe it is OK now, although a quick web search before I posted
16 > implied it wasn't. RTFM time?
19 I *think* the grub volume itself has to be plain, no lvm, mdadm etc. All
20 the stuff for that is in the initramfs, so grub loads the initramfs,
21 starts the kernel, the kernel starts pid 1 which can now start mdadm,
22 lvm etc, and then it can pivot root onto the proper root filesystem.
23
24 Cheers,
25 Wol