From: Julian Simioni <spectre256@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building a machine for Gentoo
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 04:40:49
1 On 7/9/07, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 >
3 > Agreed, of course, but one nice thing about extra ram that it might be
4 > pertinent to mention is that it can be used to cache and significantly
5 > reduce hard drive I/O once the cache is primed.
8 I just upgraded my system from 1GB to 2GB of DDR2 so I can get my occasional
9 BF2 fix in Vista, and I honestly have noticed no difference in speed while
10 using Gentoo, which is by far my primary OS. I'm sure a detailed analysis
11 would show at least slight improvement in some cases, but it probably isn't
12 worth the upgrade. That said, 1GB of DDR2 can be had for under ~50USD
13 depending on what speed and latency you desire.