From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: devfs is obsolete?
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 00:51:10
1 On 03/14/2011 10:57 AM, 7v5w7go9ub0o wrote:
2 > As per the<http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/devfs-guide.xml> and
3 > <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/udev-guide.xml> I recompiled my kernel
4 > with pts support, installed udev, and used rc-update to remove devfs
5 > from sysinit.
6 >
7 > Everything seems to work fine, except that I can't create xterms. If I
8 > start up devfs, xterm creation is fine.
9 >
10 > FWICT, devfs "mounts" /dev/pts , so how do we mount /dev/pts in a post
11 > devfs world?
12
13 I just deleted several paragraphs of fatherly advice from this reply after
14 I noticed /lib/rc/init.d/started/devfs on my machine :-/
15
16 I soon discovered that /etc/init.d/devfs belongs to the sys-apps/openrc
17 package, which is not obsolete the way "devfs" is obsolete.
18
19 This is what I have:
20
21 #eselect rc list sysinit
22 Init scripts to be started by runlevel sysinit
23 devfs
24 dmesg
25 udev
26
27 Thanks for asking the question -- I just learned something :)