From: Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Sony Viao Vista and Gentoo
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 19:35:08
1 Am Donnerstag 19 Juli 2007 21:01 schrieb Albert Hopkins:
2 > On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 17:58 +0000, James wrote:
3 > > Albert Hopkins <marduk <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > > I'm not sure if Vista versus XP make any difference. In a recent post
8 > > on this list about grub one reader posted about the fact that with
9 > > Vista the boot.ini file is gone. I'm not sure that this effects your
10 > > proposed method?
11 >
12 > I've no experience with Vista, so I can't say for sure. But it
13 > shouldn't make any difference since boot.ini is used by the Windows
14 > bootloader and we aren't using that (we're replacing it with GRUB).
17 Well, actually we are using both (chainloading ntldr by grub) and if you are
18 changing the partition scheme, you might need to work with it.
19
20 Wikipedia about the Vista bootloader:
21 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Vista_Startup_Process
22
23 > > > 2. Back up MBR, parition table, and partitions to DVD, network or
24 > > > external drive.
25 > > > 3. Use ntfsresize to shrink the XP partition, make sure it still
26 > > > boots.
27 > >
28 > > Hmmm, I must have missed something. In step one you said to boot via
29 > > a liveCD or RIP linux. Now in step 3 you say to use ntfsresize. Is it
30 > > available on the liveCD (I never used it during an install)?
31 > > A few more details on this step would be useful.
32 >
33 > Sorry when I said boot via liveCD I wasn't specifically referring to the
34 > Gentoo LiveCD, but "a"/"any" liveCD. The one I always use is RIPLinux.
35 > It's great for this kind of stuff.. but I actually use it on a USB stick
36 > as opposed to a physical CD. RIPLinux comes with all kinds of stuff:
37 > ntfs/lvm/raid tools, partimage, [g]parted, qemu, mt, mtools, network
38 > clients, cd/dvd recording software, ndiswrapper, alsa, boot-from-grub,
39 > X11, etc. etc). Fit's on a 128MB USB stick and loads right into RAM.
40 > It's awesome. You'll never look at another live cd for
41 > recovery/administration again. Don't tell anyone I said this, but it's
42 > also great for installing Gentoo ;-)
43
44 Is it stable? I've tried the newest Knoppix which can copy itself into RAM,
45 too (although WAY slower because of its size the disk speed) and it always
46 crashed after some time although there was enough space left and the RAM is
47 known good.