From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Organising btrfs subvolumes
Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 14:09:45
1 On Tuesday, May 27, 2014 12:57:58 PM Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
2 > Am 27.05.2014 09:59, schrieb Neil Bothwick:
3 > > So far, btrfs looks good on my laptop - time to think about putting
4 > > it on my desktop.
5 >
6 > Yeah, good luck with that. I am quite happy with btrfs so far ... no
7 > problems or disadvantages so far.
8 >
9 > And the hourly snapshots of / and /home on my desktop are really nice
10 > to have ;-)
11
12 Hourly snapshots are nice, but I wonder how much need there is if the
13 filesystem itself doesn't change very much.
14
15 I am still happily using LVM with snapshots. Those are instantaneous as well
16 and I can then backup the snapshot, which on my server takes between 2 hours
17 (incremental) and 3 weeks (full)
18 When a snapshot is backed up, it is removed.
19
20 The process to create the snapshots runs daily, but I could also configure it
21 to run more often. This means that when I start a daily backup, the
22 incrementals are piling up as snapshots.
23
24 With 15 different filesystems to backup, I didn't experience any issue with
25 this.
26
27 I wonder how btrfs would deal with a situation like this?
30 Joost