From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Recommendations for scheduler
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 21:14:03
1 On 1 August 2014 19:32:36 CEST, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >Hi,
3 >
4 >Up-front disclaimer: Mostly [OT] post. But at least I'll test drive it
5 >on Gentoo before putting it in production :-)
6 >
7 >New job, new environment. Existing persons suffer from
8 >5-year-old-with-a-hammer syndrome and assume cron is the solution to
9 >all
10 >ills. Result: a towering edifice of cron jobs that may or may not
11 >clobber each other's work, may or may not work at all, and implement no
12 >error handling at all. But my god, can they spew out mail from STOUT
15 >But cron has only one event trigger: wall-clock time. And it's a very
16 >blunt weapon. I'm looking for recommendations of alternative schedulers
17 >that satisfy real-world business needs that need some other event
18 >trigger than what the time is right now.
19 >
20 >For those familiar with it, I'm looking for something with the useful
21 >feature set, without the useless features and without the price tag of
22 >ControlM
23 >
24 >Anyone care to share experiences?
25
26 I'm also looking for a free alternative.
27 At most of my clients, I see Tivoli Workload Scheduler (TWS) being used a lot.
28
29 It has most things what you want from an intelligent multi host scheduler. Unfortunately, it also comes with a corresponding price tag.
30
31 If anyone knows of an OS project with comparable features, please let me know.
32 Failing this, it is on my list to start writing one myself when I get some spare time.
35 Joost
36 --
37 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.