From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] First time kernel compile, experiencing some problems
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 04:49:19
1 Hello,
2
3 after a couple of failed attempts some time ago, I actually ended up
4 with a kernel that boots. However, I am experiencing some problems which
5 I think are at least in part due to my perhaps incomplete kernel
6 configuration.
7
8 First of all, my console is still in 80x24 mode, although I pass
9 video=vesafb:1024x768-32@72 to the kernel. I have compiled vesafb-tng
10 into the kernel, so specifying the vga mode is not needed, right? If I
11 add vga=0x318, the kernel complains about an unsupported mode and makes
12 me choose another. However, I know from my previous (genkernel-created)
13 kernel that these paramters work for my hardware setup.
14
15 Secondly, I installed nvidia-drivers, but the X server refuses to load
16 glx. I can't check for the exact error now, but it's something about an
17 unrecognised/unsupported format. If I set opengl to xorg-x11, X starts
18 (but I suppose it's not by far the same thing).
19
20 Could this be linked to the fact that my detected X settings are a bit
21 strange? For instance, the monitor VendorName and ModelName are just
22 generic strings and the subsections for the Screen section only contain
23 "ViewPort 0 0" in addition to Depth, which varies (correctly as far as I
24 can tell) from 1 to 24.
25
26 Other than that, and a bit offtopic, too, today has been both very fun
27 and incredibly educational (but a bit sore on the eyes). But after about
28 13 hours, I might not make much sense. Apologies beforehand if that is
29 the case.
30
31 Vlad
34 How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
35 Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list