From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] A Bit of Trivia
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 15:32:02
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2
3 >060101 Chris White wrote:
6 >>On Saturday 31 December 2005 22:35, C. Beamer wrote:
9 >>>Fedora: 3.45
10 >>>*Gentoo: 3.75*
11 >>>Mandriva: 3.70
12 >>>Suse: 3.40
13 >>>Ubuntu: 3.90
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >>Word of advice, things like this are generally flawed.
20 >Quite true, but I believe CB's point was simply
21 >that Gentoo is up there with the other well-known distros for usability.
24 Exactly! :-) This rating was derived from the author's personal
25 experience. Personally, I think that Gentoo is the best from my
26 experience. It does have a bit of a learning curve (but because of the
27 things I've learned, I appreciated that learning curve), but I figure if
28 you give it a chance and can live with the long builds, it's rating is
29 well deserved.
33 >>The best distro for your needs is the one
34 >>that best suits what you expect your system to do.
38 >Again, people out there should know that Gentoo may well be that distro.
39 >Gentoo is not difficult, but requires on-going attention & input from users:
40 >in return, you get a system which you can tune to do just what you want.
41 >
42 >My own recent experience trying to update the OS in my back-up machine was
43 >that Mandriva 2006 wouldn't install, Kubuntu could not be configured,
44 >as it refused to recognise the password (it uses the same for user & root),
45 >while Suse required downloading & writing 5 ISO's;
46 >Ubuntu, of course, is only for those who are willing to use Gnome.
47 >Finally, I got Mandriva 2005 installed & working well enough,
48 >but only with a lot of time & effort (the machine too slow for Gentoo).
49 >
50 >OTOH I've been using Gentoo in my main box without problems since 031005
51 >& have a fully upto-date environment which does just what I want it to do.
52 >
53 >Gentoo is probably suitable for a lot more users than realise it.
56 I couldn't have said this better myself! :-)
57
58 As I said in my original post, I've used all these distros with the
59 exception of Suse. I have the most experience with Redhat and Fedora
60 and *personal opinion*, I would use Gentoo over any of them.
61
62 Sure, all distros have their good points and bad and it all comes down
63 to what works best for the person using it (as Chris pointed out). I
64 didn't intend that this should be a "written in blood" evaluation. I
65 just wanted to point out that a technical writer rated it well within a
66 group of well known distros when this would surprise a lot of people
67 (not necessarily Gentooists) and I thought you guys might find it
68 interesting.
69
70 And surely you guys must agree the the "Documentation" rating (this was
71 a 5 for Gentoo, and the highest) is right on! Even an idiot like me can
72 follow this documentation and produce a favourable end result.
73
74 Happy New Year! :-)
75
76 Colleen