From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Is GWN dead?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 21:30:16
1 On Jan 12, 2008 12:52 PM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck <at> habmalnefrage.de> writes:
5 > > Well, actually, I never used a Gentoo install CD to install Gentoo. I
6 > > also don't quite understand, why anyone would need such a beast.
7 >
8 > Folks new to gentoo, would find it suspicious, for a distro not to have
9 > it's own install..... Other forks of Gentoo have their install methods.
10 <SNIP>
11 >
12 > So yes, drop the (graphical) liveCD 0ption and create installation
13 > method(s) that begin simple (therefore easy to maintain and update)
14 > and ...
15
16 I haven't followed this whole thread but isn't this idea EXACTLY what
17 the Gentoo install process was 6-7 years ago? It's how I got started
18 and it worked great for me. A simple boot CD, a text console, and then
19 start copying tar files to get up to date stuff to work with. The few
20 times I've done an install using newer install CDs I've switched to a
21 text console, started ssh, and logged in from another machine where I
22 Can copy/paste the install commands from a browser into my ssh
23 terminal. Works great every time for me.
24
25 In the old days there were folks who wanted to do stage 1 or stage 2
26 installs. I never did one. Stage 3 always worked great for me.
27
28 For the record I am one of the newbie types that I think someone
29 mentioned as getting lucky and getting it right. That said, after 6-7
30 years of using Gentoo, I'm still a newbie. I will be forever. I don't
31 want to dig into any Linux distro as much as I want to use it. I'm not
32 a sys admin, except for the 6 Gentoo machines at home. I work for
33 myself and don't deal with offices but I Was never a sys admin and I
34 don't program in any language and I Still manage to make Gentoo work
35 for me. The power of Gentoo, for me, is the ease and quality of the
36 install process. I use a LOT of non-stable, under development audio
37 recording packages. I really appreciate how well I can do this on
38 Gentoo.
39
40 I hope the Gentoo devs can get back to the roots of this distro. Rock
41 solid install. Rock solid operation. High availability of interesting
42 software either through portage directly or through overlays like
43 proaudio.
44
45 Just my 2 cents and no matter what nothing in this email should ever
46 be construed as anything except the greatest respect and reverence for
47 those who make this disrto run.
48
49 Cheers,
50 Mark