From: Danis Petkakis <dpetka2001@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Hard disk power save
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2009 19:19:11
1 you're telling me i have to umount it first and then put it to sleep?
2 because it is mounted it cannot be put to sleep?
3
4 2009/2/7 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
5
6 > still mounted.
7 > waking it up if it's
8 > almost always something
9 > put it too sleep. There's
10 > umount it before you
11 > Usually, you have to
12 >
13 > Danis Petkakis wrote:
14 >
15 >> ok i tried 'hdparm -y /dev/sda' and though i can hear a little noise as if
16 >> the disk is in sleep
17 >> mode after a while (5 secs) it makes a noise as though it is spinning up
18 >> again...also
19 >> 'hdparm -C /dev/sda' shows the disk active/idle...i also tried with
20 >> 'hdparm -S12 /dev/sda'
21 >> but couldn't tell whether it is working or not...how can i make sure it
22 >> actually works?
23 >>
24 >> 2009/2/7 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>>
25 >>
26 >> Danis Petkakis wrote:
27 >> > 2009/2/7 Remy Blank <remy.blank@×××××.com
28 >> <mailto:remy.blank@×××××.com> <mailto:remy.blank@×××××.com
29 >>
30 >> <mailto:remy.blank@×××××.com>>>
31 >> >
32 >> > Danis Petkakis wrote:
33 >> > > hello there i would like to know if there is such a thing
34 >> as a power
35 >> > > saving scheme as far as hard disks are
36 >> > > concerned...i would like my hard disks to spin down when they
37 >> > are not
38 >> > > being accessed after a defined
39 >> > > period of time...is that possible? any hints on how to do that
40 >> > would be
41 >> > > really appreciated...
42 >> >
43 >> > If your disk is only rarely accessed (i.e. a secondary HD, not
44 >> > containing the root filesystem), look at "hdparm", more
45 >> > specifically the
46 >> > -S option.
47 >> >
48 >> > If you would like to spin down your main HD (e.g. on a laptop),
49 >> > look at
50 >> > app-laptop/laptop-mode-tools.
51 >> >
52 >> > -- Remy
53 >> >
54 >> >
55 >> > does hdparm work on sata hard disks aswell? because i couldn't find
56 >> > such an option
57 >> > in sdparm
58 >> >
59 >> > Danis
60 >>
61 >> From the man page, right at the top no less. o_O
62 >>
63 >> NAME
64 >> hdparm - get/set SATA/IDE device parameters
65 >>
66 >> It should work for SATA to.
67 >>
68 >> Dale