From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Noob WiFi question (yes-or-no answer will suffice) [SOLVED]
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2014 19:21:24
1 On 03/10/2014 19:24, walt wrote:
2 > On 10/03/2014 07:21 AM, walt wrote:
3 >> On 10/02/2014 09:39 PM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4
5 >> NetworkManager gets wlan0 working normally, but the problem is the
6 >> network doesn't come up until I log in and use the NetworkManager
7 >> panel applet to enter the psk manually. Ugh.
8 >
9 > The Arch wiki was very helpful once I knew where to start looking:
10 >
11 > The solution was to disable NetworkManager (per Alan's oft-posted advice)
12 > and enable wpa_supplicant.service and dhcpcd.service. I suppose my earlier
13 > wpa_supplicant problem was caused by a conflict with NetworkManager.
16 You'll be surprised to hear NetworkManager is now what I use :-)
17
18 I couldn't get wicd to connect using this new-fangled usb 3G dongle
19 thing work supplied, whereas nm just worked. And there's a really nice
20 KDE plasma widget for a front-end.
21
22 nm has come a long way of late it seems. Perhaps I should revise my
23 stance on it :-)
27 Alan McKinnon
28 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com