From: BRM <bm_witness@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2008.0 Installation Question...
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:30:50
1 Yes, I did an emerge sync against my local portage mirror which is updated every day, used by my other systems.
2
3 I did it very early in the install process too; though I forget at exactly what step. I also did it a couple times thereafter after hitting the issue to see if it would correct it, but no luck.
4
5 Ben
9 ----- Original Message ----
10 From: Justin <justin@×××××××××.net>
11 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
12 Sent: Monday, September 29, 2008 9:30:19 AM
13 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 2008.0 Installation Question...
14
15 BRM schrieb:
16 > I took the dive on my laptop this weekend and installed Gentoo 2008.0. I started Friday night and used the stage3 and latest-portage.
17 > The initial install when okay, until I started emerging applications - specifically X windows/KDE/etc; and that is the point I am still working on.
18 >
19 > The problem seems to be that emerge/portage is not detecting dependencies correctly, or rather - a dependency says it is installed but the ebuilds for other packages that depend on it do not find the files it supposedly installed. For example, I have had to manually emerge nearly all the X protocol (e.g. xproto, xkbproto, etc.) packages.
20 >
21 > I've installed several other gentoo systems, but not with 2008.0 directly like this - my last two were installed under 2007.0 and upgraded to 2008.0 profiles.
22 > The only bug reports I come across seem to indicate broken e-builds, but that does seem to be the case as "emerge --search <program>" indicates it is installed when in fact it might not be which leads me to believe that the local portage database (?) is somehow broken or something...
23 >
24 > Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?
25 > Is there anything I can to do get fixed?
26 > -- Preferably without re-installing from scratch, though I can if need be since I haven't gotten that far despite >48 hours of time put into it already.
27 >
28 > Nearly every time I run "emerge world -vuDN" it will go for a while and then break when the contents of a package that was supposedly installed are not found by a package depending on it.
29 >
30 > Any how...any tips would be greatly appreciated!
31 >
32 > Ben
36 you can also use equery check to check all files which should be
37 installed. Did you do an emerge --sync to corrected any portage brackage?