From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disabling net.ath0 backgrounding
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:03:17
1 On Sunday 22 October 2006 16:07, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Disabling net.ath0 backgrounding':
3 > > > How can I execute this from the command line?
4 > > You should just be able to type it in or cut/copy and paste from my
5 > > original email. bash (and indeed most shells) don't interpret the
6 > > input from the command line significantly different than the content
7 > > of a script file.
8 > If I use spaces instead of line breaks so I can put it all on one line
9 > it doesn't seem to work out. I'm missing something here.
10
11 You should be able to use linebreaks; bash will, appropriately, wait for
12 more input if you are in the middle of a larger construct (if/while/etc.).
13
14 You should also be able to use spaces, but you have to add a semi-colon
15 after each simple command. If I was to do it as a one-liner it would be:
16 if /etc/init.d/net.ath0 status | grep -q started; then /etc/init.d/net.ath0
17 restart; else /etc/init.d/net.ath0 start; fi
20 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
21 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
22 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
23 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh