From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Modifying ebuilds, and dependency thoughts between hugin and luminance-hdr.
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2011 20:36:17
1 On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > So, media-gfx/luminance-hdr uses hugin's align_image_stack by default.
3 > Except the ebuild doesn't list a dependency on hugin. I tried
4 > modifying its ebuild file to add the dependency, but Portage
5 > complained about a failed digest verification. So I don't know how to
6 > work around that.
7 >
8 > Then there are some additional realizations I had.
9 >
10 > 1) Pulling in hugin pulls in gtk and a bunch of additional
11 > dependencies. Luminance-hdr is a qt app; having a qt app trigger
12 > pulling in gtk seems silly.
13 > 2) The tool that luminance-hdr needs is a CLI tool. It doesn't need
14 > the GUI side of hugin. So it should be possible to build that hugin
15 > tool without the rest of its GUI. Sounds like another USE flag, or
16 > perhaps splitting align_image_stack into a separate ebuild and having
17 > both luminance-hdr and hugin pull that in.
18 > 3) Luminance-hdr doesn't *need* hugin; it has a builtin tool that
19 > fills the same role, but behaves a bit differently. It should be
20 > perfectly possible to remove hugin's tool from the list of options,
21 > based on a USE flag.
22 >
23 > Now, both hugin and luminance-hdr are both tools I've messed with a
24 > great deal...enough to be frustrated with aspects which lead me to
25 > dive into their source code to try to fix things. I'm pretty confident
26 > I could do just about all of it, code-wise and logic-wise. What I
27 > don't know is anything about ebuild and app development on Gentoo.*
28 >
29 > So...where do I go from here?
30 >
31 > * This also comes in on my desire to play The Old Republic, but WINE
32 > 1.3.x has trouble with it. Day job as a Win32 coder comes in handy
33 > here...
34 >
35 > --
36 > :wq
39 I haven't tried this in years but from this link:
40
41 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2004.2/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=6
42
43 there is this text:
44
45 [QUOTE]
46 If you are certain that the sources you've fetched and the ebuild
47 itself are valid, you can regenerate the Manifest and digest-<package>
48 file using ebuild's digest functionality:
49
50 Code Listing 2.3: Regenerate Manifest and digest
51
52 # ebuild path/to/ebuild digest
53 [QUOTE]
54