From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: RFC : fast copying of a whole directory tree
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:13:49
1 Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >>> > This works because there are two decoupled processes, shared memory
5 >>> between
6 >>> > them and the fact that star reads names from directories in one big
7 >>> chunk.
8 >>> >
9 >>>
10 >>> Honestly, that's news to me. Which package has star?
11 >>
12 >> eix -e star
13 >
14 > To help star to buffer, give star a large fifo size that is up to haslf of the
15 > RAM in your machine, e.g. fs=1000m
16 >
17 > To make sure that star gives fast file creation (unpacking of archives) on
18 > filesystems that do not support fast verified transactions, you need to make
19 > star as "insecure" as other software to get comparable results, so add:
20 >
21 > -no-fsync
22 >
23 > Jörg
27 The problem with star is that when I need to copy a large number of
28 files, it isn't on the DVD I boot from. That's why most people use cp
29 since it is on every bootable media I have ever booted. That includes
30 the Gentoo bootable media.
31
32 Since star is so good, why not get them to include it on the bootable
33 media? Is it to large a package or what?
34
35 Dale
36
40 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
41 how you interpreted my words!
42
43 Miss the compile output? Hint:
44 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"