From: Dirk Heinrichs <dirk.heinrichs@××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] lvm without initrd
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 14:36:29
1 Am Samstag, 16. Juni 2007 schrieb Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.:
2 > On Saturday 16 June 2007, Florian Philipp <f.philipp@××××××.de> wrote
3 >
4 > about '[gentoo-user] lvm without initrd':
5 > > I'd like to know which parts of my system need to stay on "traditional"
6 > > partitions and which directories can be moved to an lvm if I don't want
7 > > to use initrd and still be able to boot.
8 >
9 > Anything 'cept / (and /boot of course) can live on LVM without the need for
10 > an initrd.
11
12 Yep, and even swap can be a logical volume. So here is an example partition
13 layout:
14
15 [hs]da1: /boot,64M,ext2 (a little bit larger than needed, 32M would also be
16 sufficient.)
17 [hs]da2: /,256M,choose whatever fs you prefer
18 [hs]da3: LVM,everything else
19
20 Make sure to create LVs for at least /opt, /var, /usr. Regarding /home, I
21 prefer one LV per user, mounted via automounter. I also add three more LVs
22 for the Gentoo related stuff, also mounted via automounter:
23
24 /gentoo/overlays (portage tree and other overlays, ~1G)
25 /gentoo/distfiles (~2G)
26 /gentoo/build (size depends, mine is currently ~5G to satisfy openoffice
27 builds).
28
29 HTH...
30