From: Willie M <matthews.willie80@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Dynamic IP address services.
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2016 17:38:27
1 On 11/08/2016 03:07 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On November 8, 2016 9:43:30 AM GMT+01:00, Willie M <matthews.willie80@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 11/07/2016 06:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >>> Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net> writes:
5 >>>
6 >>>> On 2016-11-06 22:54, Willie M wrote:
7 >>>>
8 >>>>> http://freedns.afraid.org/
9 >>>>
10 >>>> ++ ++
11 >>>>
12 >>>> I had used both Dyn and NoIP before, but they both went all Web 2.0
13 >> on
14 >>>> me (and other well known ones probably did the same).
15 >>>>
16 >>>> FreeDNS is just perfect for me - a blast of fresh air from the past
17 >> :-)
18 >>>
19 >>> Just the tiniest bit thin on explaining what the heck you are
20 >> expected
21 >>> to do on the various pages that appear when setting up an account.
22 >>>
23 >>> I'd like to have a real ip for a change... been doing the fake home
24 >>> lan thing for years and always there are problems with sendmail or
25 >>> other mail apps. Either masquerading or some other work around.
26 >>>
27 >>> Can anyone tell me if the freedns place will supply me with an ip
28 >> that
29 >>> will work for sendmail? Will stand up across the internet when other
30 >>> internet hosts do reverse dns on my address for mail purposes.
31 >>>
32 >>> They advertise static addresses too, is there any draw back to that?
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >>
36 >> Hey Harry,
37 >>
38 >> If I a not mistaken if you change your nameservers to FreeDNS you will
39 >> be able to have that dynamic IP Address that way. So your reverse
40 >> lookup
41 >> should work just fine.
42 >>
43 >> Only problem is that if your IP address changes, you would have a short
44 >> amount of time that your server would not respond (because of the IP
45 >> change). The default TTL on FreeDNS is 3600 seconds (1 hour).
46 >>
47 >> Reading on the front page it says that you can edit the TTL if you add
48 >> your own domain. I don't know for sure how it all works because I have
49 >> never added on. It doesn't hurt to try and it seems like it would be a
50 >> lot better than what you are using now.
51 >>
52 >> Hope this helps.
53 >
54 > Willie,
55 >
56 > This will not work.
57 > A reverse lookup (which FQDN for the IP) needs to work for all SMTP servers he is likely to send mail to. This would also include Google and Microsoft.
58 >
59 > He needs to get his ISP to change the reverse DNS.
60 >
61 > --
62 > Joost
65 Hey Joost,