From: Christoph Gysin <cgysin@×××.ch>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Frank.Pikelner@××××××××.ca
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Getting distribution name and release version
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:21:31
1 Frank.Pikelner@××××××××.ca wrote:
2 > We are writing remote systems management software for Linux systems and
3 > are looking for a standard way to obtain a remote systems distribution
4 > name and release version. The “lsb_release –ir” commands seems to
5 > provide what we are looking for and works under a number of popular
6 > distributions. I’ve tested the command using Gentoo 2005.0 text install
7 > and the command was not found. Does Gentoo support “lsb_release –ir”
8 > command?
9
10 There is no such thing as a "release" in gentoo. You could get the current
11 profile by reading the link in /etc/make.profile.
12
13 > If not how can I contact the developers to request this?
14
15 By writing to gentoo-dev@l.g.o?
16
17 AFAIR gentoo won't ever be LSB compliant. It doesn't really make sense on such a
18 customizable distribution.
19
20 Christoph
21 --