From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Google Earth
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2006 19:38:37
1 Jorge Almeida wrote:
2 > I tried Google Earth, liked it, tried again, and, sure enough, it froze
3 > my computer. By "froze" I mean no Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill the
4 > X-server, no Ctrl-Alt-F?, no Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot. I had to reboot by
5 > pressing the button in the box. (The bottom of the window said
6 > "Streaming 21%", forever.)
7 >
8 > Now, I know googleearth-4_beta is, well, beta. I'm not asking for help
9 > with googleearth, since I assume nobody can give it (Google probably
10 > uses Linux, but prefers to cater to Windows). What I find very
11 > un-linux-like is that a faulty program can leave me with no alternative
12 > but rebooting. I wasn't running the thing as root, of course. Can
13 > somebody
14 > guess what happened? And is there some way to avoid it happening again,
15 > short of not using googleearth? (Some way to limit the ressources the
16 > program can grab?)
17 >
18 Out of topic, but I hope its helpful.
19 Before pressing the "reset" button on your system actually you have
20 several other options. And these are better than reseting because
21 reseting could damage the file system. For this to work one has to
22 recompile his/her kernel like this:
23
24 make menuconfig >> kernel hacking >> Magic SysRq key [yes]
25
26 After this pressing {Alt + SysRq + "X"} makes the kernel take an
27 immediate action depending on "X". "X" may be some key from:
28
29 SysRq : HELP : loglevel0-8 reBoot tErm Full kIll saK showMem Nice
30 powerOff showPc unRaw Sync showTasks Unmount
31
32 ("X" substitutes one of the upper letters, "SysRq" = "PrintScrn" )
33
34 So it would be better if you had for example pressed sequentially the
35 combinations for "saK" (if it didnt work) > "tErm" > "kIll" > "Sync" >
36 "Unmount" > "reBoot"
41 Best regards,
42 Daniel
46 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list