From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Automount under mdev; looking for testers
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 06:35:32
1 On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 09:13:24AM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote
2
3 > A quick question : for automounting to work, do you need to do sysctl -w
4 > kernel.hotplug=/sbin/mdev , or is it optional?
5
6 Thanks, I'll have to document that. In .config, I think you need
7 "CONFIG_HOTPLUG=y". I don't know if the kernel can even be built
8 without it. What output do you get from the command
9
10 cat /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
11
12 I get...
13
14 /sbin/mdev
15
16 That's what you need. *IF THAT IS NOT THE CASE FOR YOU* the docs at
17 http://git.busybox.net/busybox/plain/docs/mdev.txt give 2 options...
18
19 1) If you have a proc file system (yes we do), the way to do it is
20
21 echo /sbin/mdev > /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug
24 2) For embedded systems without a proc filesystem, you can
25
26 sysctl -w kernel.hotplug=/sbin/mdev
29 Option 2 would probably also work for Gentoo, but the proc filesystem
30 makes things a lot easier.
33 In my case hotplug support was enabled and /sbin/mdev was already
34 listed in /proc/sys/kernel/hotplug. Google turns up a lot of
35 documentation for mdev on stripped down embedded systems. Trying to
36 apply it to a desktop PC is breaking new ground.
39 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>