From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs conversion: first impressions
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 21:24:44
1 After some initial learning and fiddling I have to say that I really
2 like the features and possibilities of btrfs so far.
3
4 OK, features bring complexity as well ... some technology hides that
5 more, some less.
6
7 ... but it is really nice-to-have the option to snapshot your root-fs,
8 do-something-to-it (emerge unstable stuff, delete the wrong files, you
9 name it ...), and if you don't like it you simply boot using your
10 snapshot ... that is actually really helpful and also rather easy once
11 you get your head wrapped around the concepts and the few steps
12 necessary (and it's quick: the snapshot is done in a blink ...)
13
14 No specific benchmarks done here, the internet is full of ... so far the
15 performance was not noticeable different from the ext4-fs before. This
16 might be more visible with hdds, I only used SSDs so far.
17
18 As far as I researched btrfs seems to be quite reliable in a not too
19 complex (read: multi devices) setup ... and backups never hurt anyway.
20
21 As I do backups all the time I feel quite confident to test my setups
22 for the next few days and maybe even completely overhaul my desktop setup.
23
24 -> 2x 1TB HDDs plus 1x 256GB SSD (plus the one older 80GB SSD for tests
25 right now) ... with LVM and stuff (remember my hassles last week with
26 the LVMs not activated??) ... I could run one btrfs-pool on the 2 HDDs
27 and one on the SSD and cut all of my various filesystems out of that.
28
29 Would mixing hdds and the ssd into one pool make sense? I think, no ... ?
33 I will also test running VMs on btrfs-subvolumes and doing snapshots:
34
35 snapshot the underlying subvolume, apply some changes within the VM and
36 then rollback to the snapshot.
37
38 This would remove LVM-snapshotting out of the way ... etc etc
39
40 As mentioned before, looking forward ... and curious!
41
42 Stefan