From: Leho Kraav <leho@×××××.com>
To: linux.gentoo.user@××××××××××××.com
Cc: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to cross compile Perl for ARM?
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2011 11:51:10
1 i have managed to cross-compile a pretty complete stage3 for arm i believe with perl-5.10.1 from http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/embedded-cross.git;a=tree;f=dev-lang/perl
2
3 overall the cross-compile experience was a nightmare, esp. re perl and python. many packages obscurely fail, but not enough for you to immediately give up. so it keeps sucking you back in and waste even more time. at the time i discovered that embedded-cross overlay had mostly done all the difficult work for me, but it seems it is no longer updated for recent stuff. i think guys in #gentoo-embedded told me it is a lot of effort to patch these large packages like perl and python to sanely cross-compile, and since i think their product thing didn't work out too well, they weren't going to sink any more time into maintaining for newer versions.
4
5 but jude pereira i believe is doing something with arm stages at least semi-actively http://judepereira.com/blog/gentoo-linux-uclibc-stage3-2010-for-embedded/ and it is definitely a lot of fun booting pretty much full blown gentoo on things like Nokia N8x0 internet tablets https://github.com/slonopotamus/n8x0-overlay