From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restrict site access by SSL Client Cert?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:26:08
1 On 2012-02-15 10:46 AM, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 8:46 AM, Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
3 >> Hi everyone,
4 >>
5 >> I know that you can restrict access to a certain site using either Basic
6 >> HTTP Auth or Digest Auth, but I was wondering - can you do the same with an
7 >> SSL Client Certificate?
8 >
9 > Yes, you can. The specifics of how depend on what web server you're using.
10 >
11 > For Apache, there are some examples of different scenarios here:
12 > https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_howto.html#allclients
13 >
14 >> I'd also like to provide for IP based exceptions if possible
15 >
16 > Trivial in Apache using mod_authz_host which is made for that kind of
17 > thing. :) You can combine the two access methods (allow all if it's
18 > coming from your company's internal IP, otherwise require
19 > certificate).
20
21 Perfect, thanks Paul (and yes this is with Apache)...
22
23 Glad to know I can do it, hopefully I can get it working without having
24 to sign up to yet another email list to ask for help... ;)