From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [SOLVED] Pipewire not a dependency?
Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2022 11:47:38
1 On 02/10/2022 12:47, Michael wrote:
2 > I applied the above and now the microphone in Skype works again. I assume the
3 > same applies to other PulseAudio friendly applications, which won't play
4 > nicely with PipeWire only. I suppose at some point PulseAudio will be
5 > completely replaced by PipeWire and applications will update their code
6 > accordingly.
7
8 Pipewire recommends using the pulseaudio API anyway, at least for now:
9
10 https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/FAQ#what-audio-api-do-you-recommend-to-use
11
12 Which makes sense. Pipewire is supposed to be a drop-in replacement for
13 both pulseaudio and jack. And both of those aren't dead. It makes sense
14 for applications to try and work on any system, regardless of whether
15 pipewire is used or not.