From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Plasma migration won't launch
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 20:57:59
1 On Sunday 15 May 2016 12:22:20 you wrote:
2 > On Sunday 15 May 2016 06:53:08 Gregory Woodbury wrote:
3 > > Just on a hunch: check that /var/lib/sddm exists and is owned by the sddm
4 > > user. This bit me (through my own fault) just a week ago.
5 >
6 > I have not messed about with the sddm defaults other than creating a
7 > (default) conf file for it and editing
8 > /usr/lib64/qt5/qml/SddmComponents/PasswordBox.qml to fix the mouse focus
9 > onto the passwd field when it starts.
10 >
11 > # ls -la /var/lib/sddm
12 > total 4
13 > drwxr-xr-x 1 sddm root 74 May 14 19:02 .
14 > drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 414 May 14 23:03 ..
15 > drwxr-xr-x 1 sddm sddm 20 May 14 19:01 .cache
16 > drwx------ 1 sddm sddm 22 May 14 19:01 .dbus
17 > -rw------- 1 sddm sddm 0 May 15 11:50 .xsession-errors
18 > -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 300 May 15 10:02 state.conf
19
20 Today I was fiddling around with various settings to see what gives and almost
21 fell off my seat when sddm launched Plasma for the first time! It transpires
22 that this happened after I modified something in the Exec line of
23 /usr/share/xsessions/enlightenment.desktop and broke it.
24
25 Then I (almost) fell again off my seat, because from this point onwards sddm
26 would ONLY launch plasma no matter what other session I selected from the drop
27 down menu. O_o
28
29 I experimented by disabling /usr/share/xsessions/plasma.desktop, but sddm
30 would not change the session displayed by default, or actually launched.
31
32 Eventually, I manually edited /var/lib/sddm/state.conf before I was able to
33 launch a different window manager. Now this can't be right. Is sddm writing
34 only once in /var/lib/sddm/state.conf and then it can't/won't refresh it?
35
36 I have added sddm to the video group. As far as I can tell there are no
37 differences with other PCs of mine that work fine with sddm. What could be
38 wrong?
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick