From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slow network transfers ... lost interrupts because of clocksource?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 15:55:50
1 Am 27.09.2013 12:33, schrieb Stefan G. Weichinger:
2 > I am back from my visit at a customer where I installed a new and shiny
3 > gentoo server for running VMs (KVM).
4 >
5 > Currently I don't have access as my VPN only works from my static IP at
6 > home (my router seems to be offline right now ... and I am still away
7 > from office for the weekend) so I can't check details now ...
8 >
9 > basically:
10 >
11 > I tried to copy/rsync some file with ~8GB over a gigabit connection ...
12 > from old to new server. Checked ethtool for gigabit, looked ok. I always
13 > saw the behavior that the transfer started rather fast and slowed down
14 > within minutes. Let's say ~50 MB/s in the start and then down to maybe 2
15 > or so. That is way from the expected throughput with such new hardware.
16 >
17 > The NICs in the new server are BCM-something, Broadcom, using the tg3
18 > Tigon module (exact model not available right now as mentioned above).
19 >
20 > In "dmesg" I see lines like
21 >
22 > hpet1: lost 1 rtc interrupts
23 >
24 > which makes me wonder if that leads to the lousy performance (btw, I
25 > fear slow virtualization performance as well).
26 >
27 > Dealing with HPET I checked for kernel support and also added kernel
28 > options to GRUB:
29 >
30 > hpet=force clocksource=hpet
31 >
32 > which lead to
33 >
34 > # cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
35 > hpet
36 >
37 > I am unsure if I should further investigate things around this HPET-issue?
38 >
39 > My thinkpad here shows "tsc" as clocksource ... good/better ?
40 faster, if it works. Completely broken, if it doesn't.
41
42 > What direction to go? force or disable HPET?
45 neither