From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT?} which fs on 1.8TB partition
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2017 16:12:52
1 On Sat, 7 Oct 2017 07:06:24 -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
2
3 > btrfs isn't horrible, but it basically hasn't been optimized at all.
4 > The developers are mainly focused on getting it to not destroy your
5 > data, with mixed success. An obvious example of this is that if you
6 > read a file from a pair of mirrors, the filesystem decides which drive
7 > in the pair to use based on whether the PID doing the read is even or
8 > odd.
9 >
10 > Fundamentally I haven't seen any arguments as to why btrfs should be
11 > any worse than zfs. It just hasn't been implemented completely. But,
12 > if you want a filesystem today and not in 10 years you need to take
13 > that into account.
14
15 I switched from ZFS to btrfs a few years ago when it appeared that ZFS
16 wasn't really going anywhere while btrfs was under active development. It
17 looks like I backed the wrong horse and should investigate switching back.
21 Neil Bothwick
22
23 C&W music backward: get yer dog, wife, job, truck, kids, and sobriety
24 back.