From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet? -> what was wron with SysVInit?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 01:27:32
1 On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 7:14 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 [ snip ]
3 > I'm sorry if sounded like scoffing (certainly I don't remember
4 > scoffing anyone, at least consciously). I remember I praised Walt for
5 > doing the work for mdev. Do you remember that? I can dig the archives,
6 > but I'm pretty sure I said that I greatly admired him.
7
8 Found it:
9
10 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/254885
11
12 """
13 As I have said before, I admire a lot what Walter et al. are doing,
14 and as I always will say, this is how our community works: people
15 writing the code (as Walter is doing) are the ones that get things
16 done. This is the correct (and only) way to address a problem
17 (perceived or real) with the current status: write the code that does
18 the thing the way you want it. Complaining and crying that you don't
19 like the direction some part of the stack is taking is at best a waste
20 of time, and at worst idiotic. Actually doing something about it (as
21 Walter is doing) is the smart thing to do.
22 """
23
24 [ snip ]
25 >> In your eyes, udev has become like the cosmos: everything there is, and ever
26 >> shall be.
27 >
28 > No, of course no. Hell, I hope something even better will be developed
29 > along the way. And I said at some point (to Greg, in the -dev list)
30 > that *perhaps* something good will come from eudev. I hope you
31 > remember, but (again) I can search the archives.
32
33 Found this one also:
34
35 http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/81251
36
37 """
38 Seeing some people comparing udev to XFree86 is one of the more
39 bizarre things coming out from this fork, and that's saying. However,
40 I agree with Doug that anyone should code whatever they want to code.
41 Who knows, maybe something interesting would come off from this fork,
42 and it certainly doesn't affect us happy Gentoo+systemd+udev users.
43 """
44
45 Regards.
46 --