From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] hal vs. devicekit (was: more about hal)
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:43:54
1 On Sunday 01 November 2009 00:25:55 Mike Edenfield wrote:
2 > On 10/31/2009 4:59 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Even it's author knows this (but apparently many distros do not) which is
4 > > why he deprecated hal and started over with devicekit.
5 >
6 > Speaking of which...
7 >
8 > Has the switchover to devicekit officially started and I
9 > missed it? And if so, is there some migration guide of some
10 > sort I can peruse for assistance?
11 >
12 > I just upgraded Xorg and Gnome yesterday and my previously
13 > more-or-less-working with hal system went belly up. It no
14 > longer recognizes my synaptics touchpad, and in fact refused
15 > to start X until I re-merged the kdb/mouse drivers, and
16 > gnome-power-manager is totally useless.
17 >
18 > For the record, I'm all about moving to devicekit from hal
19 > if that's where the dev(s) are moving, but I'd rather do so
20 > while continuing to use my laptop :)
21
22 devicekit was only recently added to portage, and last time I looked the
23 hardware it supported was nowhere near hal yet.
24
25 So the answer to your question is unfortunately no
28 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com