From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 15:52:05
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Hemmann, Volker Armin
3 > [mailto:volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de]
4 > Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2007 12:19 AM
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Moving linux system to another partition
9 > On Freitag, 8. Juni 2007, Aleksey Kunitskiy wrote:
10 > > Hi all,
11 > >
12 > > Is it safe to move my linux system by using:
13 > > #>cp -rp /mnt/old_part /mnt/new_part
14 > > and approriate changes in grub.conf/fstab on new system location ?
15 >
16 > nope.
17 >
18 > cp -a if you really want to use copy. But doesn't kill that
19 > the ctime/mtime
20 > making uninstalling things a pain?
21 >
22 > When I moved around on harddisks some years ago, I followed
23 > some instructions
24 > found on the suse-hp. And they used tar.
25
26 ***********WARNING***********
27 I am probably missing something, so beware. I am sure people with
28 more experience will fill in the details, so don't try this till
29 everyone else has a chance to chime in. :P
30
31 I don't know all the details, but from what I understand basically boot
32 into
33 a live disk type environment, tar everything in a way that reserves
34 permissions
35 and all the file info, and then untar it in the new root directory.
36
37 If grub.conf will be in a new location, then make sure to make the right
38 Changes in grub. If you have a separate /boot parition, then that
39 should
40 be ok, just make the right changes in grub.conf.
41
42 That SHOULD work. ^^;
43 Make sure not to actually delete anything until you know it works. ^_^
47 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list