From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new scanner : any advice ?
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 05:25:43
1 150621 Bruce Hill wrote:
2 > On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 07:02:39AM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
3 >> My trusty 12-year-old scanner is starting to show signs of age :
4 >> I'm inclined to get another Epson, but would consider something else.
5 >> Does anyone have experience with these or have any advice to offer ?
6 > HP is the only desktop printer/scanner/etc that I've used in years,
7 > because their Linux support is great.
8 > My home use HP Officejet Pro 8600 N911g has an embedded web server,
9 > so I only need enter it's IP in a web browser and scanning is easy.
10
11 The local store, whose hardware has been very reliable for 15 yr ,
12 doesn't have any HP scanners in stock in my price-range,
13 whereas it has 6 Epsons at present.
14
15 > You might need more, but in the past all my Linux experience
16 > with Epson hardware/drivers was negative.
17
18 There's a problem with the driver of my present scanner
19 (sometimes it gets confused & makes the R-half of the image darker),
20 but that's quickly solved by restarting Xsane.
21 It's done an excellent job with documents, photo prints, negatives + slides,
22 by now in the many thousands of images altogether.
23
24 > Check the LinuxQuestions.org HCL: http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/
25
26 Most of these are long out-of-date, perhaps indicating
27 that most users now expect equipment to be problem-free with Linux.
28
29 Any other advice wb very welcome. Thanks for all the replies so far.
33 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
34 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
35 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca