From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Slightly OT: favorite window manager/desktop environ?
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 12:57:58
1 Martin S schreef:
2 >
3 > The main problem I feel is that lots of apps are written for a
4 > specific WM rather than a generic non-WM/DE-dependent API. Which
5 > makes the entire desktop look like bits and pieces the cat draged
6 > home (run Gimp, Kontact and Scid under KDE and you'll know what I
7 > mean). There was (is?) a setting in KDE to force *some* apps to bend
8 > to the theme of KDE, but that was buggy when I tried it last time.
9
10 Actually, I use(d) the setting (kcontrol=> Appearance and Themes=>
11 Color=> Apply KDE colors to non-KDE apps, which I still have set), so
12 colors always matched across both toolsets (except for Firefox, where
13 most themes don't pick up system colors), which is a big step in the
14 right direction.
15
16 But now I use:
17
18 x11-themes/gtk-engines-qt
19 Available versions: 0.6-r1
20 Installed: 0.6-r1
21 Homepage: http://www.freedesktop.org/Software/gtk-qt
24 This package
25
26 1) adds a setting to Kcontrol to tell KDE to use either use the KDE
27 theme and fonts for GTK apps, or you can specify theme and fonts what to
28 use for GTK apps, the benefit being you can do this in Kcontrol, rather
29 than having to get a GNOME theme switch application (though I had one
30 anyway, and this function seems to apply only to GTK2, not GTK1, which
31 was a problem for me--but I solved it);
32
33 2) provides an engine for the various KDE themes that have been 'ported'
34 to GTK (2), such as Liquid, I think Baghira's been done, basically
35 search 'GTK' on KDE-Look.org, and you'll find a bunch.
36
37 But this didn't help me with GTK1 apps, of which I have several, notably
38 multi-gnome-terminal. But I was able to conform them as well by doing
39 the following:
40
41 Found a theme on KDE-Look org which was for all three toolsets: KDE,
42 GTK2, and GTK1 (there are not many, but there are a couple), namely QTCurve.
43
44 Set all three toolsets to use it (KDE in Kcontrol, GTK2 in either
45 Kcontrol, Gnome Control Center/Themes, gtk-chtheme, or gtk-theme-switch
46 (version 2, called with 'switch2'), and GTK1 in gtk-theme-switch
47 (version 1, also installed, called with 'switch').
48
49 I'm sure that many would consider this overcomplicated (and it probably
50 is), but the hardest part was finding a theme (that I liked) that was
51 designed for all three toolsets. Once I had done that, setting it up was
52 pretty simple, and it works well; all applications (except those which
53 do not use system themes, which on my system is essentially Firefox and
54 OO.o) use the same theme and colors, from The Gimp, to Krusader, to
55 gnotepad +. So my desktop looks quite consistent in that respect,
56 despite the fact that it is neither KDE nor GNOME.
57
58 Fonts are a bit of a problem, though-- font sizes seem to change if I
59 'mix' apps from KDE (specifically, I don't think this happens if I run a
60 QT-but-not-KDE app) on my primarily GTK-based desktop. The fonts and
61 sizes are set to the same in both GNOME and KDE, but if I open a KDE
62 app, they seem to display as smaller, and then newly-opened GTK apps seem to
63 display the fonts as slightly bigger. I suspect that this is a bit of
64 fallout from the lack of interoperability/lack of conformance to the
65 freedesktop.org standard, and neither DE is quite sure who's supposed to
66 be controlling the font size once both DEs are controlling a portion of
67 the open applications on the desktop, so they have a minor conflict
68 about it.
69
70 It's an annoyance, not really a 'problem', and overall, the system works
71 well.
72
73 Holly
80 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list