From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Kernel does not boot after adding a new SATA drive
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2016 18:44:00
1 2016-09-06 21:24 GMT+03:00 Willie M <matthews.willie80@×××××.com>:
2 > On 09/06/2016 11:20 AM, gevisz wrote:
3 >> 2016-09-06 21:16 GMT+03:00 gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>:
4 >>> I had one IDE hard drive for /
5 >>> and one SATA hard drive for /home
6 >>>
7 >>> After adding another (yet non-formatted) SATA hard drive
8 >>> the system panics and complains that it cannot find kernel
9 >>> (if I understood it correctly :).
10 >>>
11 >>> As it happens after the GRUB(2) menu, I suspect GRUB(2).
12 >>>
13 >>> Just executed
14 >>> # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
15 >>> but have not tried to reboot yet.
16 >>>
17 >>> After disconnecting a new hard drive, the system boot normally.
18 >>>
19 >>> Any ideas?
20 >>
21 >> P.S. Just forgot to say that everything works fine if I connect the
22 >> new SATA drive already after booting the system.
25 > Your /dev/sd* devices are changing when you boot with the new drive most
26 > likely. Try taking the new drive out and reconfigure your system to boot
27 > with UUID's for the drives instead of /dev/sda1 or whatever it is in
28 > your case.
29
30 Thank you for the prompt reply but as I have just written to Neil,
31 in my fstab, all the old drives are specified by UUID.
32 And the new one does not have UUID yet.
33
34 Where else should I specify them?
35
36 Do you think that running
37 # grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg
38 with a new drive connected will be enough?