From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Xcdroast users : alert
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2016 18:42:10
1 Philip Webb <purslow <at> ca.inter.net> writes:
4 > If anyone else uses Xcdroast to write CDs or DVDs,
5 > I suggest they read Bug 345337 & submit appropriate comments.
6
7 Tree-cleaners have been very active. If they prose to removed something
8 you like, you have options, like volunteering to proxy-maintain the package,
9 yourself via the proxy-maintainer project::
10 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers
11
12 equery m xcdroast
13 * app-cdr/xcdroast [gentoo]
14 Maintainer: None specified
17 Move it to your own github.
18
19 Install it locally (usr/local/portage/), along with sources
20 in /usr/local/portage/distfiles.
23 Other ways surely exist.
24
25 > There seems to be no problem on single-user systems,
26 > but a 6-year-old bug which applies to multi-user systems
27 > is being used as an excuse to remove Xcdroast from the tree.
28 > There was a similar issue with Nethack recently too.
29
30 Reply to the bug with your evidence, plead your case, in bgo. If no timely
33 > PS I am not receiving e-alerts re comments added to the bug :
34 > can anyone explain why that mb happening & advise me how to get them ?
35
36 You probably got listed on the bug to receive updates? What's the bug number?
37
38 There is a pseudo mandate to removed insecure packages from the tree.
39 It's been discussed on gentoo dev. Some new guideline are being
40 brought forward on tree-cleaning. I have been actively requesting
41 for a well defined pathway for such codes. Read this post and you'll
42 see that one of the devs outlined a process to retrieve old ebuilds
43 from github. It was really easy, via 'the attic', but the attic is
44 not github centric, so those new instructions hopefully will hit the gentoo
45 wiki and get expanded to allow folks to retrieve old codes. Then
46 you have to figure out how YOU are going to maintain those old ebuilds.
49 https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/305c431c84c39bc74b1077f0b395ce91
50
51 hth,
52 James