From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] rebuilt kernel - now doesn't shutdown
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2019 16:47:15
1 On Wed, 11 Dec 2019 14:55:48 +0100, n952162 wrote:
2
3 > I've made a new recognition about this issue.   If I move
4 > /lib/modules/4.19.72-gentoo to a saved/ subdirectory, and otherwise have
5 > NO modules directory, I don't have this problem. When I move the modules
6 > directory back into place, the problem returns.
7 >
8 > I'm not understanding how the system can run without a modules
9 > directory.
10
11 As long as everything your system *needs* to run is built into the
12 kernel, this will work, but things will fail when modules are needed.
13
14 > As an example, I looked at a module that was easy to spell, fuse.ko, ;-)
15 > and looked where else on the system it exists, and found a copy in
16 > /usr/src.  The files have the same file(1) response (both non-stripped,
17 > with the same build id), but different lengths.  I didn't see anything
18 > in /var/log like, "falling back to /usr/src/..."
19
20 When you run make in /usr/src/linux, the modules are built there. When
21 you run "make modules_install", they are copied to /lib/modules/version/
22 The kernel only look in /lib/modules/version
23
24 > When the modules directory is present (/lib/modules/4.19.72-gentoo/), I
25 > have a lot more problems than just the power problem.  For example, X
26 > comes up but eventually locks up.  With NO modules subdirectory, X works
27 > okay.
28
29 So you have a misbehaving module, or faulty hardware that uses a module.
30 All you need to do now is work out which one it is ;-)
34 Neil Bothwick
35
36 Accept that some days you're the pigeon, and some days you're the statue.