From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: OT: Fighting bit rot
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 21:51:18
1 On Tue, 8 Jan 2013 19:53:41 +0000 (UTC)
2 Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 2013-01-08, Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
5 > > On Jan 8, 2013 11:20 PM, "Florian Philipp" <lists@×××××××××××.net>
6 > > wrote:
7 > >>
8 > >
9 > > -- snip --
10 > >
11 > >>
12 > >> Hmm, good idea, albeit similar to the `md5sum -c`. Either tool
13 > >> leaves you with the problem of distinguishing between legitimate
14 > >> changes (i.e. a user wrote to the file) and decay.
15 > >>
16 > >> When you have completely static content, md5sum, rsync and friends
17 > >> are sufficient. But if you have content that changes from time to
18 > >> time, the number of false-positives would be too high. In this
19 > >> case, I think you could easily distinguish by comparing both file
20 > >> content and time stamps.
21 > >>
22 > >> Now, that of course introduces the problem that decay could occur
23 > >> in the same time frame as a legitimate change, thus masking the
24 > >> decay. To reduce this risk, you have to reduce the checking
25 > >> interval.
26 > >>
27 > >> Regards,
28 > >> Florian Philipp
29 > >
30 > > IMO, we're all barking up the wrong tree here...
31 > >
32 > > Before a file's content can change without user involvement, bit
33 > > rot must first get through the checksum (CRC?) of the hard disk
34 > > itself. There will be no 'gradual degradation of data', just
35 > > 'catastrophic data loss'.
36 >
37 > When a hard drive starts to fail, you don't unknowingly get back
38 > "rotten" data with some bits flipped. You get either a "seek error"
39 > or "read error", and no data at all. IIRC, the same is true for
40 > attempts to read a failing CD.
41
42 I see what Florian is getting at here, and he's perfectly correct.
43
44 We techie types often like to think our storage is purely binary, the
45 cells are either on or off and they never change unless we
46 deliberately make them change. We think this way because we wrap our
47 storage in layers to make it look that way, in the style of an API.
50 The truth is that our storage is subject to decay. Harddrives are
51 magnetic at heart, and atoms have to align and stay aligned for the
52 drive to work. Floppies are infinitely worse at this, but drives are
53 not immune. Writeable CDs do not have physical pits and lands like
54 factory original discs have, they use chemicals to make reflective and
55 non-reflective spots. The list of points of corruption is long and
56 they all happen after the data has been committed to physical storage.
57
58 Worse, you only know about the corruption by reading it, there is no
59 other way to discover if the medium and the data are still OK. He wants
60 to read the medium occasionally and verify it while the backups are
61 still usable, and not wait for the point of no return - the "read error"
62 from a medium that long since failed.
63
64 Maybe Florian's data is valuable enough to warrant worth the effort. I
65 know mine isn't, but his might be.
69 Alan McKinnon
70 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com