From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dual booting windows 7, extended partitions, and the mbr
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2010 02:11:13
1 I just bought a dell laptop with a single large (500GB) disk.
2
3 I find getting dell service is easier if I have windows installed
4 so I reinstalled windows from its original configuration of claiming all
5 the space to "just" 30GB.
6
7 However this uses three partitions
8
9 1. A dell partition (I believe with diagnostics)
10 2. The main windows 7 partition (c:)
11 3. A recovery partition (made by windows)
12
13 I imagine I could arrange to have the recovery partition an extended
14 partition, but I am a windows novice so prefer to leave all of
15 windows as it was (except for having vastly reducing the size of #2).
16
17 I am now ready to install linux (and grub).
18 Can I have all of linux on extended partitions? Something like
19
20 4. Extended
21 5. linux / (a logical partition inside the extended partition)
22 6. linux swap (another logical partition)
23 7. linux lvm2 partition (another logical partition)
24 8. linux small vfat partition (logical)
25
26 I am mainly concerned about #5. Googling reveals that you can boot
27 from a logical partition but the authors seem to recommend against
28 it (without saying why in detail).
29
30 Finally, can I install grub on the mbr *after* having installed windows 7?
31 With old windows systems this was bad; with vista it worked.
32
33 thanks,
34 allan