From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Linksys router BEFSR41 loosing internet
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:06:05
1 On Monday 20 December 2010 11:44:11 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > (What follows has grown rather long. I hope it doesn't come over too
3 > much as a lecture.)
4 >
5 > It's fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it. The address of
6 > a device is a 64-bit number, expressed as four 16-bit numbers joined
7 > with dots. It's just easier to read when split into chunks, but it is
8 > really a 64-bit number. As in decimal arithmetic, the right-hand digit
9 > is the least significant.
10
11 For the sake of the archives, I do need to correct you here.
12 With the current IP-numbers (IPv4) it's a 32-bit number, expressed as four 8-
13 bit numbers (A byte is 8 bit)
16 Joost