From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Tips for fresh install with GRUB2+RAID1+LVM2
Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 12:21:55
1 Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2
3 > On Wed, 20 May 2015 06:51:53 -0400, covici@××××××××××.com wrote:
4 >
5 > > > You should really consider moving to GRUB2 though. I don't know about
6 > > > legacy GRUB, but GRUB2 can handle your boot partition being on btrfs.
7 > > > I still left space on my drives for a boot partition anyway, since it
8 > > > will be needed when I move to EFI.
9 > >
10 > > How did you makr the boot partition, or is it just linux? Did you use
11 > > gpt or mbr? I am about to convert to ssd, and I may as well do it in
12 > > such a way that future mbs will work much easier.
13 >
14 > If you want t be able to use UEFI, you need to use GPT. UEFI needs a FAT
15 > partition at the start of the drive, type FE00, but booting a GPT disk
16 > with MBR requires a small BIOS boot partition, type EF02, at the start of
17 > the drive (mine is 1MB).
18 >
19 > For ease of switching to UEFI later, I'd do
20 >
21 > sda1 1MB BIOS boot, type EF00
22 > sda2 /boot, type 8300
23 > everything else.
24 >
25 > You can make sda2 ext2, then, when it is time to switch, simply backup
26 > the contents of /boot, replace sda1 and sda2 with a single EF00
27 > partition, formatted with FAT, and copy the contents of /boot back.
28
29 Thanks, does the 1mb partition have to have anything in it?
32 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
33 How do
34 you spend it?
35
36 John Covici