From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Do I really need to install new packages during upgrade?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 11:32:13
1 On 26/08/2014 12:00, Gevisz wrote:
2 > On Tue, 26 Aug 2014 10:42:01 +0100
3 > Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Tuesday 26 August 2014 12:21:35 Gevisz wrote:
6 >>> I have just tried to upgrade my system (which I do almost every day)
7 >>> and found out that portage wants to install 6 new python packages
8 >>> that seem to be unnecessary because for example
9 >>> # equery depends dev-python/pyopenssl
10 >>> reports that no other package depends on this one.
11 >>>
12 >>> The same situation is with all the other python packages.
13 >>>
14 >>> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=60
15 >>> --ask world
16 >>
17 >> It could be that "--with-bdeps=y" term. I took a long time to learn
18 >> that lesson, as old-timers may remember.
19 >>
20 >> What happens if you change y to n?
21 >
22 > In this case, the portage wants to update all the same "unnecessary"
23 > python packages and only decides not to update the eselect-ruby.
26 You've approached this in an inefficient way.
27
28 When portage gives an odd list of dependencies to be emerged (especially
29 if they are new indicated by [ebuild N ]), then always run emerge
30 with the -t option. This will display the same output in a tree view
31 showing you what pulls things in. This exactly answers the question you
32 asked.
33
34 Looking at emerge output without the -t option does not show this
35 information, so you don't know.
36
37 When a package is to be installed new (i.e. not an update) then "equery
38 depends" is pointless. That form of the command shows the dependencies
39 for *installed*packages*, so obviously can't show the deps for something
40 not installed yet. There are options to equery that make it search the
41 tree itself, not your vdb, but they are slo-o-o-ow. maan equery for details.
42
43 --with-bdeps=n omits eselect-ruby as it is a build depend for some
44 package. A build depend means you need it to build something not to run
45 it. Portage defaults to n on this to make things a little more efficient
46 and compile less stuff. In your case eselect-ruby will only be updated
47 when something else that needs it at build time is updated. Until then
48 you strictly speaking don't really need it to be updated
52 Alan McKinnon
53 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com