From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard Disk going a lot slower now...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 01:06:33
1 On 11/27/06, Chris Walters <cjw2004d@×××××××.net> wrote:
2 > showed a write speed as quoted above, and a read speed of about 280 MB
3 > per second...
4
5 This seems more like the SATA-II interface speed of ~300MB/s...
6
7 > Though the same one reported a read speed of about 900+
8 > MB per second for my USB drive (not really possible, since the maximum
9 > speed for USB 2.0 is about 480 MB / second).
10
11 Yeah, bogus. And remember that 480 is megabits/sec (Mb/s)...actually
12 more like 60MiB/s maximum throughput (although I have yet to get more
13 than 29MiB/s from any USB drive).
14
15 > This is very frustrating. At first the drive was quite fast, under
16 > windows and now it is extremely slow... I asked about this in a windows
17 > xp pro group, and so far no one is touching it.
18
19 Well I would first poke around in the device manager for the SATA
20 interface and make sure it is not in PIO mode. Then check the
21 property pages of the disk and make sure that write caching is
22 enabled.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list