From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module and kernel woes after two "emerge -DuNe @world"s
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2019 18:26:32
1 On Saturday, 8 June 2019 19:01:30 BST Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > I'm having problems with newly compiled modules (zfs (et al.) and vbox
3 > (et al.)) and kernel after doing two "emerge -DuNe @world"s.
4 >
5 > Everything worked fine after rebooting after the first "emerge -DuNe
6 > @world". So, I did another "emerge -DuNe @world". (This harks back to
7 > the old stage 1 -> stage 2 -> stage 3 methodology that I cut my teeth
8 > on. Create the new tool, use said tool to recreate the tool.)
9 >
10 > After the reboot after this second "emerge -DuNe @world" is when my ZFS
11 > pool became inaccessible.
12 >
13 > Aside: I migrated from ZFS 0.7.999 to 0.8 as part of the first emerge.
14 > This worked fine.
15 >
16 > I have since found out that I can't load vbox* modules, nor can I boot a
17 > kernel that I can successfully build.
18 >
19 > The modules fail with the following error:
20 >
21 > modprobe: ERROR: could not insert '<module name>': Exec format error.
22 >
23 > Dmesg reports the following associated error:
24 >
25 > [ <seconds since boot>] module: <module name>: Unknown rela
26 > relocation: 4
27 >
28 > My searches online have made me think that this /might/ be a problem
29 > with newer binutils. But I'm not sure.
30 >
31 > So, I figured that I'd ask for some help / input before I do something
32 > drastic that I might regret, like making things worse, or painting
33 > myself into a corner that I can't back out of.
34 >
35 > Aside: I have regained access to my ZFS pool by restoring the ZFS
36 > contents of the /lib/modules/<version>/extra directory.
37
38 Were these contents not there, or is it that the new version of modules do not
39 work? If the former, then could this be related to the migration over to
40 profile 17.1?
41 --
42 Regards,
43 Mick