From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] after dd many badblocks on new SATA HD
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 02:09:06
1 Hello everybody,
2
3 I ran dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/sda bs=10240 to copy the
4 contents of one drive to another as suggested on this
5 list. And updated fstab and grub.conf. Now the PC
6 boots into a kernel panic. The boot sector /dev/sda1
7 is okay but badblocks reveals page after page of
8 badblocks on /dev/sda3(reiserfs), my root part.
9
10 I've only had the drive, a Western Digital 120G SATA,
11 a few days and it was never dropped or bumped. Could
12 it be a lemon drive or is this a result of dd going
13 haywire somehow?
14
15 I re-ran dd if=/dev/hda3 of=/dev/sda3 to redo just the
16 partition in question but it didn't help.
17
18 Any suggestions?
19
20 -mw
26 Yahoo! Mail - PC Magazine Editors' Choice 2005
27 http://mail.yahoo.com
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list