From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfs 'no journal replay'
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 18:30:05
1 Richard Fish <bigfish <at> asmallpond.org> writes:
4 > > When I boot up a gentoo portable, I get this message:
5 > > <from memory>
6 > > file system is mounted read only no journal replay
7 > >
8 > > dmesg contains this line
9 > > "VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem) readonly."
10 > >
11 > > What up with these? Do I have something configured wrong
12 > > in /etc/fstab? elsewhere? ignore these messages or
13 > > find the problem?
14 >
15 > Well, the messages themselves are not a problem...depending upon what
16 > happens. The kernel normally mounts the root filesystem read-only
17 > initially. The boot processes is then supposed to remount the
18 > filesystem read-write. In gentoo, this happens in the checkroot init
19 > script, which should be part of boot (rc-update -s | grep checkroot)
20 >
21 > Is your system failing to boot?
22 >
23 Nope, everything works fine. On another system recetnly the journal replay was
24 used to fix a system that lost power inadvertently. It was the first
25 time I noticed reiserfs 'self-healing' or fixing a problem. That
26 got me wondering, as the older file systems use to repair quite
27 often and ever 6months to a year, I'd my running fsck and such,
28 manually.....
29
30 No problems, just curious if I has something was wrong with my reiserfs.
33 > -Richard
40 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list