From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] glibc-2.17 fails and warning: setlocale: LC_ALL error
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 02:02:48
1 On Mon, Jul 14, 2014 at 08:50:58PM -0500, Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I'm reinstalling Gentoo on my OLD rig. It's x86. I have two issues
5 > which will be seen in the error below. Sort of hard to miss. Anyway, I
6 > started with the latest stage3 tarball. I've got it to where it boots
7 > up and all and am in the process of trying to do a emerge -e system
8 > which will also update everything as well. My problem is glibc and the
9 > locale settings. May be a separate issue or related. Here is the boo
10 > boo.
11 >
12 <SNIP>
13 > * Package: sys-libs/glibc-2.17
14 > * Repository: gentoo
15 > * Maintainer: toolchain@g.o
16 > * USE: abi_x86_32 elibc_glibc kernel_linux userland_GNU x86
17 > * FEATURES: preserve-libs sandbox
18 > [sys-libs/glibc-2.17] bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change
19 > locale (en_US.UTF8)
20 > /bin/bash: warning: setlocale: LC_ALL: cannot change locale
21 > (en_US.UTF8) <<-- This error right here. :-(
22 <SNIP> <error1 above>
23 > * Your old kernel is broken. You need to update it to
24 > * a newer version as syscall(<bignum>) will break.
25 <SNIP> <error 2 above>
26 >
27 > One reason I want to re-emerge glibc, I'm HOPING it will fix the other
28 > LC_ALL error. I'm pretty sure glibc takes care of that but not 100%
29 > sure. I checked my main rig for differences in USE flags, multilib is
30 > the only one I see. It is set on my main rig and doesn't seem to be
31 > available on x86 for obvious reasons.
32 >
33 > If this is not enough info, let me know what you need. I don't want to
34 > flood with tons of unneeded info when usually that above gives enough of
35 > a hint. ;-)
38 Hi Dale,
39
40 first you should check if you have this line in your /etc/locale.gen:
41 en_US.UTF-8 UTF-8
42
43 If you do, run locale-gen to create the locale. This should in theory fix the
44 LC_<foo> errors (Note: there are some LC_ settings best left undisturbed,
45 especially setting LC_ALL to something other than "C" tends to break stuff).
46
47 The other error you get (glibc failing to install) seem to be caused by an old
48 kernel version that wouldn't be compatible with the newer glibc. So I'd
49 recommend that you try to update your kernel first.
50
51 WKR
52 Hinnerk