From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: to nest commands
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2013 17:24:20
1 On 2013-11-26, Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 26 Nov 2013 11:52:10 +0100
3 > Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> There are some other options of "nesting" as well. You can use
5 >> backticks "`" or $(...) to run a command "inside" another. An example
6 >> would be emerge `qlist -CI x11-drivers` (or the equivalent emerge
7 >> $(qlist -CI x11-drivers) ) . This would run "qlist -CI
8 >> x11-drivers" (lists installed packages of the category x11-drivers)
9 >> and use this output for emerge (which will effectively result in
10 >> reinstalling every package from the x11-drivers category).
11 >
12 > As I understand it, the $(...) syntax is the preferred way of nesting,
13 > as opposed to backticks. I think this may be due to backticks requiring
14 > some special escaping that the $(...) syntax does not require.
15
16 AFAIK, it's entirely for readability. In some fonts, it's almost
17 impossible to tell back tics from forward tics. And at some eyeball
18 ages it's possible to completely miss both when reading quickly...
21 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Let's all show human
22 at CONCERN for REVERAND MOON's
23 gmail.com legal difficulties!!