From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo Portage Feature Request
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 16:29:49
1 On Monday 21 September 2009 18:16:32 Paige Thompson wrote:
2 > I hope nobody finds this offensive, I'm not a great writer but I gotta get
3 > this out there.
4 >
5 > Goal: to resolve quality issues with packages and the behavior of portage
6 >
7 > Problem 1:
8 >
9 > This is a really simple thing, first of all it would help a lot if packages
10 > will not try to build with specified cxxflags if the maintainer hasn't
11 > tested the build and enabled them for that package.
12 >
13 > case and point:
14 > I have -fstack-protector-all in my cxxflags because I'm a paranoid idiot
15 > and I'm overly confident that it could never be wrong to have that. emacs,
16 > fails to build because of it but it's not obvious. I file a really
17 > pedantic bug report, and later through trial and error and after having
18 > gotten over my confidence in -fstack-protector-all realized that without
19 > it the package *does* build. If the ebuild had a feature where it's
20 > metadata did not indicate that it could build with that cxxflag, then
21 > portage could stop and just tell me that up front *OR* prompt me and ask
22 > me what do next. I understand that this would require package maintainers
23 > to actually *test* their packages which is no trivial issue, and who
24 > wouldn't agree that if they're not willing to then somebody else should?
25 > Not only that but it gives you the ability to score maintainers based on
26 > the accuracy of the results. I'm not even suggesting that this feature
27 > should be mandatory it could be something that I could turn on or off-- I
28 > just want it so that I know what's going on and I don't end up wasting
29 > people's time filing bug reports and making them mad at me for being a
30 > noob.
31 >
32 > Problem 2:
33 > I know this is might be kind of nitpicky to you, and it's more or less the
34 > same as problem 1 but I think if I specify -O0 in my cxxflags, that a
35 > package that needs -O2 should not build and tell me that it needs it rather
36 > than just building with -O2 anyway!! I mean seriously, why even give me the
37 > option to specify the optimization level in the cxxflags. It's deceptive, I
38 > don't like that I find it very difficult to take it seriously because of
39 > that.
40
41 This is the wrong forum for that. You need to take it up with the devs, IIRC
42 they are at gentoo-dev. Few of them read this list.
46 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com