From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Linux Kernel 3.2.0 & USB Mouse
Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2012 23:07:20
1 On Sun, 8 Jan 2012 14:57:49 -0800
2 Hilco Wijbenga <hilco.wijbenga@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On 8 January 2012 05:15, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On 01/07/2012 06:53 PM, Hilco Wijbenga wrote:
6 > >> Hi all,
7 > >>
8 > >> I'm trying to upgrade the kernel on my desktop from 3.1.6 to
9 > >> 3.2.0(-r1). Unfortunately, my Logitech USB trackball does not work
10 > >> in 3.2.0. It is listed in the lsusb output so it is being
11 > >> recognized but neither GPM nor X responds to it.
12 > >>
13 > >> I have tried to make sure that the .config files are as identical
14 > >> as possible. The differences that I see do not seem relevant to my
15 > >> problem. Any ideas?
16 > >
17 > > IIRC the kernel config choices for HID were reorganized recently.
18 > > I remember that my keyboard stopped working and I had to set some
19 > > HID selection that I can't recall now, but it's worth a look.
20 >
21 > Yes, I noticed that when I compared the old and new configs. The only
22 > entries that seemed relevant were CONFIG_USB_MOUSE and
23 > CONFIG_USB_KEYBOARD. The documentation is quite specific, though: "you
24 > don't want this". I tried them anyway but no luck.
25 >
26 > If you remember more details, I'd be very interested.
27
28 You definitely do not want to set those, they are not for mouses and
29 keyboards as normally used. They are for small embedded systems that do
30 not support the full HID setup. You must disable those settings and
31 just use the regular HID stuff.