From: tuxic@××××××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT]: "New to aliexpress" pop up - how to block it?
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2017 08:49:15
1 On 07/16 09:18, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Sunday 16 Jul 2017 09:59:54 tuxic@××××××.de wrote:
3 > > On 07/16 08:51, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >
5 > --->8
6 >
7 > > > Have you tried Ghostery?
8 > > >
9 > > > http://www.ghostery.com
10 > >
11 > > Hi Peter,
12 > >
13 > > no, due to this reason:
14 > >
15 > > "Ghostery is owned by Evidon, a company that collects and provides data to
16 > > advertising companies." Source here:
17 > > https://lifehacker.com/ad-blocking-extension-ghostery-actually-sells-data-> to-a-514417864
18 >
19 > I hadn't read that; interesting. But note that it only says your data are
20 > collected if you choose to "support" them, and apparently the data are
21 > anonymised. Actually, when I looked just now I found that choice made for me
22 > by default. I've now changed it - thanks for the pointer!
23 >
24 > I'll continue to use Ghostery for the moment, as it seems highly effective in
25 > stopping all manner of intrusions.
26 >
27 > --
28 > Regards
29 > Peter
33 Hi Peter,
34
35 How far would you trust a company, which makes money from selling
36 my/your data and is promoting a tool to prevent exactly this?
37
38 Me: Not a single radius/wave length of a quantum...
39
40 "Anonymised data" is a bad joke in post Orwell times...
41
42 Cheers
43 Meino